Friday 25 April 2014

How I Clean My Make Up Brushes



Before I go into explaining how I clean my brushes, I just want to say what a difference it makes to use makeup brushes rather than applying products with your fingers! I can't believe it took me so long to buy a good quality brand of make up brushes. Because my makeup applies so much better and I get much better coverage now due to my make up brushes, and also by using the Real Techniques Miricle Complexion Sponge. It is so worth buying a good set of brushes you won't believe the difference it makes to your make up. 

I clean my brushes after everytime I've used them with a brush cleanser. The one I'm currently using is No7 Brush Cleanser which is around £7 I believe. It's soooooo important to clean your brushes! If not you will just be spreading bacteria all over your face each time you use them without cleaning them which results in break outs! 


Once every couple of weeks, maybe even bit longer.. I give my brushes a deep clean using a shampoo. I use two shampoos, baby shampoo and loreal nutri gloss shine shampoo, because these are softer on the brushes! I switch between the two shampoos. The baby shampoo is good for getting rid of make up stains and the loreal one smells lush :) Some brushes can be abit stubborn so I do have to give them a little extra clean! 
Both the shampoos leaves my brushes feeling soft, clean, makeup free and like new again! 


Step 1) I lay out all my make up brushes ready to be cleaned 
Step 2) I dampen the bristles of the brush with Luke warm water. (doesn't want to be red hot or it may damage the brush) it's also important you don't get the entire brush handle wet as this will damage the glue which holds the brushes bristles in place.
Step 3) I put some of the shampoo onto the brush and swirl the brush round my palm occasionally adding water causing it to lather up. 
Step 4) once I'm satisfied the brush is make up free I rinse the bristles to make sure there's no shampoo still in the brush. 
Step 5) when I've cleaned all my brushes I lay them all out on a towel and let them dry! (It's also important you do lay them out flat and not stand them up as all the water will run to the glue which I mentioned earlier will damage your brush!) 

Cleaning my Real Techniques Miricle Sponge
 I put it in a bowl of water and put it in the microwave for 30 seconds and apparently this kills the bacteria on the sponge (saw this on a YouTube video) then clean it as normal with shampoo. I do give it a really good clean as it can be stubborn and sometimes it does leave stains. I do have to keep rinsing it to get the shampoo out so does take a little while. But looks brand new when finished! (It is ideal you buy a new sponge every couple of months!) I just want to point out how freaaaakking amazing this little sponge is. Seriously applying your foundation with this will change your whole make up game. It will be your best friend if you use it correctly! Ahhhh I love it. 


Soooo that's how I clean my make up brushes/sponge! Thanks for reading! X

No comments:

Post a Comment